Retour au journal
prev. next
15 August 2015
Point J – Let’s start on a good base

This week I finished disassembling Josephine. The soil was rotten in several places, I had to remove the walls to be able to change it completely and start on a good base. It remains 4 walls, a roof and a floor but nothing is connected together!

We brought the walls and chassis back to my home so I could work quietly (at least the chassis runs smoothly). The floor was separated from the metal structure and partly dismantled to be able to observe it. It consists of 3 layers: a thin layer of plywood underneath, glass wool for insulation and a layer of plywood thicker above. The wood below was untreated and only 3mm thick! No wonder it’s rotten.

Delphine-Millet_Caravane-Josephine-02169Delphine-Millet_Caravane-Josephine-02196

I took the measurements of the floor and I went to buy the materials for its construction and for the repair of the walls. I decided to use a thicker first layer for the floor and especially filmed for better insulation and moisture resistance. The insulation is expanded polystyrene (cheap, lightweight and less dangerous to install than glass wool). I would have liked to find insulation in recycled textile fibers but impossible to find in local stores.

Delphine-Millet_Caravane-Josephine-02191

The hard part was to find slats of the good size. Indeed the floor is made of 3 panels placed next to each other, so I needed slats that make the entire length of the ground to support all that (about 3m). I found thin slats 27x40mm 4m long at the DIY store but impossible to find wider (for better resistance to weight). It was finally at the end of the 5th store that I found it, at a professional wood supplier. The Holy Grail: slats 40x60mm in 5m long !!!

Delphine-Millet_Caravane-Josephine-02194

Serious things could begin. I cut the panels of plywood filmed, slats and nailed all together (the slats that go from left to right are used for the joints between panels). I cut the insulation and laid the panels and covered them with the plywood boards.

Delphine-Millet_Caravane-Josephine-02171
Delphine-Millet_Caravane-Josephine-02172
Delphine-Millet_Caravane-Josephine-02186

And here is a brand new floor ready to welcome the walls!
I still have to put the mudguards and put all that on the metal frame that my father cleaned and repainted. In the meantime I can attack the repair of the walls.

The lows of the week : I was sad when I saw that everything was not perfect (it is difficult to cut the wood straight over a long length with just a small electric saw) and I pulled out my hair to look for slats of good dimension.

The ups of the week : I have all traced, cut, mounted alone and I begin to realize what it will be.

Ouahou Delphine c’est vraiment un travail impressionnant et très intéressant à suivre. Bravo !! J’attends la suite avec impatience 🙂

Merci 🙂
J’essaie de ne pas trop regarder la totalité du travail que je vais devoir faire pour ne pas prendre peur et partir en courant !

Bravo, déjà quel travail ! C’est sympa de voir la demoiselle reprendre forme tout doucement ! carole

Merci. J’ai encore du travail mais c’est agréable de lui redonner vie 🙂

Un jour ça deviendra un vrai tuto “Comment rénover une caravane soi-même?” 😉

Hahaha ! C’est ça en fait 😉 On sait jamais ça peut servir à quelqu’un un jour.

Oh la la c’est impressionnant ! Et malgré les imperfections (que tu seras seule à voir) tu peux être très fière de toi !

Merci 🙂
Même si je ne savais pas trop pourquoi je me lançais dans ce chantier (c’est le cas de le dire), maintenant j’ai la sensation que c’est pour pouvoir dans quelques années me dire que j’ai réalisé quelque chose de mes mains et pouvoir en être fière.

C’est un superbe projet que je découvre aujourd’hui, en même temps que tes site et blog, après un article sur toi de Noémie dans Trendy Mood.
Tes photos sont magnifique, j’aime bien ton univers et ta Joséphine me fais déjà rêver 😉

Merci et bienvenue sur le blog 🙂

Retour au journal
prev. next